Pages

D.I.Y. ♥ My Brooch Bouquet: the beginning...

Saturday, March 31, 2012

How excited am I???  EXTREMELY!  I am going to be starting on my brooch bouquet that I have been planning for the last couple months.  As soon as I knew that I wanted this kind, I started doing tons of research on what I would need and how to create it.  I came across an awesome tutorial and I am going to pattern mine after it.  Not completely though, I want my own special touches on it.

I went to Michael's a couple weeks ago and grabbed up some of their clearance brooches/jewelry and I also ordered a few off of Ebay (I am still waiting on a few).  I plan on raiding some yard/estate sales and some thrift stores to see if I can score some good ones as well.  But this is what I have thus far!

 maybe I should start proofreading! Gauge not "guage"

 one of my FAVORITE stories!

I know, I spelled "filigree" wrong, lol

(the bracelets I took apart and I am going to use the pieces as fillers in the bouquet)

Now at this point, only thing I am concerned with is getting the stems started.  I also used wire cutters for the floral wire.  When I started picking the brooches/jewelry I wanted, I kept in mind:
  • my dress style-I wanted to make sure that the design of each piece would coincide with how my dress is constructed and the overall feel of the event.
  • colors-while I have seen many brooch bouquets that are vivid in color and they look amazing, I am choosing to stay more muted with the tones that I pick.  I am throwing in hints of color, but nothing too outrageous.  
  • creativity-the functioning locket will be used to having something stored in it of importance to me.
  • metal type-that also falls within the color because obviously different metals have different hues.
  • how big/small/round or square they are.  I am going for ALL different shapes.  I have a few different sizes that I am working with, some as main pieces and some are fillers. 
There are a few other factors, but these are the most important ones to me.  Ready...Set...let's GO!

First off is the wiring of the pieces.  It helps if they have loops of some sort on them to wrap the wires around.  Also, the heavier the piece, the more wire you should use.  I have even read on some blogs that you may have to go with a more dense wire for bigger pieces.   only had to double the wires (so far) and that gave it enough security for the bigger ones that I have done.


Then comes the taping of the wire.  I used floral tape (which I have used before in creating bouquets and centerpieces for other events that I've helped create decorations for, works perfectly) to bind the wires together.  I tried to have my wires come as close to the same length as possible, but it doesn't have to be perfect.  Once done with them all, they can be trimmed to the same length.

(sorry for my nails...they look HORRID, I know)

Chanda

No comments :

Post a Comment